Thursday, July 06, 2006

Being a follower

Is it enough? Is it enough just to believe that Jesus is our personal savior? Let me say up front, this explanation is not my own. It was actually explained to me from someone from At the Water's Edge who I consider a friend and a lot smarter than myself.

Belief is a huge step, I understand the concept that the first step toward Christ is the biggest one. However, let's be honest, even Satan believes that Jesus is the Son of God. So even though it is a major step to state that Jesus is our savior, does it really only put us on the same plane as Satan? Well I'm sure that is a little bit of an overstatement, but you know what I mean. So, am I entering into the whole "grace alone" vs "good deeds" theological debate? I do not think so.

There is a difference between being a believer in Christ and being a follower of Christ. Let those two words jog around your brain a second, believer and follower. Let's go back to our first example, do I believe that Satan exists? Yes. Am I a follower of Satan? Absolutely not. Do I believe that Buddha existed and had some good things to say? Yes. Am I a follower of Buddha? No.

At some point a believer realizes that just believing that Jesus is Lord is a disservice to Jesus. It devalues what he taught and the suffering he endured. All throughout his teachings, Jesus explains what he expects from his followers. The concept that Jesus talks about more than any other is helping the poor. His teaching is not to sit in a church every Sunday "for the best hour of your life." At some point, a believer goes through a transformation and becomes a follower. I still have not figured out how someone who calls themselves a believer of Christ and has studied his Word can sit there and do nothing. Too many people get too caught up into "what can I get out of worship?" Rather, they should be asking themselves "what can I do to feed Jesus' sheep?" This transformation marks the difference between a believer and a follower. Are we saved by the grace of Jesus Christ? Absolutely. But we are saved by grace in order to do the work of God today. We are expected to live the Kingdom of God today with our neighbors, everybody. That is what Jesus taught and expected.

Jesus was a revolutionary teacher. We as the Church have done our best to water down his message as to not offend anybody. We have done our best to have the Messiah's words fit our personal thoughts and needs. When actually we should fit our thoughts and actions to fit the Messiah's words. Is it time for another Revolution? I think so.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home