Monday, December 04, 2006

From Abu Dhabi with Love

So I have not been able to write about our recent trip to the Middle East yet. Yes, that is correct; we went to the Middle East. Yes, it was our idea. We actually went to Abu Dhabi during the Thanksgiving holiday to spend time with friends of ours who recently moved there. As you could probably figure out on your own, these were not just any friends, but two people who hold a very special place in our hearts.

Before I get started into what I am writing this about, let me answer some questions for those who know me well. Yes, I did bring my motion sickness medicine. Yes, I did get motion sickness. Yes, I did eat some Arabic food. No, I will never eat South Indian food again. Yes, there were camels. Yes, there were Christmas trees and songs in the stores. Yes, we did buy all of our Christmas ornaments for our tree in the United Arab Emirates, a Muslim country. No, we were not scared for our lives; although, overall the people there were not overly-friendly. Let’s just call them distant.

So hopefully that answers some questions.

Though our friend Ghazal made sure that every moment of our trip was enjoyable; there was one special moment that stands out in my mind, as it probably always will. Hayley and I could not go a Thanksgiving without having our Thanksgiving dinner. So, the four of us drove all around Abu Dhabi searching for just the right ingredients to make all of the classics for Thanksgiving. We did a wonderful job I must admit. After the Christmas music from Amin’s computer was quieted, after the oven was turned off, and after all the food was served; that is when the moment happened. If it had not been for my wife’s nagging, or I mean, suggesting (oops), the moment would have never happened. She suggested that we have a prayer together. So you say ok, no big deal, it’s a regular Thanksgiving dinner. But it was more than just a big deal; I believe it was God at work. There we were around this table, two Christians and three Muslims (two Sunnis and a Shiite), holding hands in prayer. We prayed that night, that somehow…someway…we could be an example to the world. We prayed that we could come together in Love to accomplish the same thing, the Will of God. This continues to be my prayer today. With everything that goes on in the name of religion, love still finds a way to unite in the name of God. I know, deep in my heart, that if Jesus were walking this earth today, he would have been sitting at that table holding our hands. I also know that He actually was there. I have my wife’s nagging to thank for it, I guess there’s a first for everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home