Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Television CAN Be Good For You

It is funny how you can sometimes hear what God is trying to say in some of the strangest places and ways. I was watching TV the other night, I know real surprising. But I wasn’t watching sports; that is actually very surprising for those of you who know me. I was actually watching the Kennedy Center Honors with my dog; he kind of likes the TV also.

I was sitting there enjoying all of the music that the honorees had performed or conducted through the years. They had everything, Country, old school R&B, Classical, and Show Tunes. I just sat there in awe; they were all so beautiful, in their own way of course. I mean how could you compare “My Girl” to “Joleen” or to “Music of the Night”? I mean it was just song after song after song that all I could do is sit and sing along, well not really loud on the “Music of the Night,” I didn’t want my dog to start howling.

After it was over it was kind of strange, I felt like I had a tear in my eye and still I had this feeling of happiness. You see, all of these artists were able to passionately express such beauty in their own unique way. They were all quite different, yet they had the same goal, to create wonderful art through music. In some way, this made it even more amazing.

Then I was thinking, is this not the same way with our worship of God? My wife and I were lucky enough to go home for Christmas and spend it with our families. Christmas Eve morning we woke up early to go to one of the early services at the church my wife grew up in with her family. I have to admit, this was not really something I was looking forward to. This particular church is a little more traditional than what I have become accustomed to. But during the sermon, the pastor, who I have heard give many sermons, really grabbed my attention. He was speaking about the courage of Mary, what she had to endure. He correlated it to having the courage to go out and help people in need, forgiving people, and giving people second chances. He thanked the congregation for all they do in the community, and he listed a few of the things. Then he challenged them to continue this and even increase their efforts. I sat there when he was finished and told my wife that I thought it was a sermon that could have been spoken at our church with no problem. It really started my Christmas Eve off on a wonderful foot.

You see, it is kind of like the artists who were getting honored. I think we can all have our own styles of worship, as long as we have the same goal in mind, watching over the sheep of our Lord Jesus Christ. I do not feel that it matters at all to God what kind of songs we sing, or what kind of robes the pastors wear, or if you make the sign of the cross, or if you clap during your songs, or if you wear a suit to church. But if it makes you feel better, go for it. God told us that He loves us, all of us. He also told us that we should love everyone, all of us. We may not always see eye to eye on things such as worship styles, and it is even ok to question others in the Body of Christ, but the goal of His followers should always be the same, to bring His Kingdom to where we are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home