Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thank You

Sometimes we struggle with these “deep theological” questions. We struggle so much that these questions often divide the body of Christ. Did Adam and Eve eating the apple really cause all bad things to happen? Are we supposed to shove sin in people’s faces to bring them closer to Christ? One of my favorites is, if you died today where would you go? Then there are the other “important matters of Christianity”. How do we let people know they can give money to the church? Do we make announcements at the beginning of the service or in the middle? Do we wear our Sunday’s best or just our t-shirt and shorts? All of these questions I have had passionate discussions about on many occasions. But what did it teach me about following Christ?

My wife typically avoids these conversations at all cost. For her, what is the point in talking about things that you cannot change?

Today we found out that a dear friend of ours finally lost her battle with cancer. It was an amazing, courageous, and inspiring battle. I have never seen people facing such odds and still continue with relentless hope, until I watched my friend and her husband march into battle against this disease. Don’t get me wrong, there were many hard days (weeks and months for that matter), but through it all I saw something. My wife was walking side by side with this couple, through the limited highs and the drastic lows. She too was awe inspiring. To me, she was an example of what following Jesus is all about. My wife saw two people living with unimaginable darkness all around them, and chose to step boldly into that darkness and bring the light of Christ’s grace, peace, and love to them. She taught me more about being a follower of Christ than I could learn by asking a thousand questions. I learned more about being a Christian from watching her over the last few years than any sermon I have ever sat through. I heard a pastor say once that as Christians we are suppose to be the Eucharist for the world, we are suppose to open ourselves up and pour ourselves out so that others may experience love and grace just as we have. I now know what that means. Because through my wife’s passionate love, I have experienced Christ, and I know our friends have as well.

So to my wife, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home